Government College of Engineering, Amravati (GCOEA) is one of the oldest engineering institutes in state of Maharashtra, India. It is located in Amravati. Beside engineering education, it is recognized research center for Ph.D. Programs in Civil, Mechanical, Electrical, Electronics and Computer Engineering for Amravati University. The student strength is around 1,700.
Government College of Engineering, Amravati, was established in 1964 by the Government of Maharashtra, along with three other Government institutes at Pune, Aurangabad, and Karad. It was initially affiliated to Nagpur University and later on shifted to Amravati University in 1982. The Institute started with three basic disciplines Civil, Mechanical and Electrical Engineering initially. Subsequently degree programs in Electronic & Telecommunication, Computer Science & Engineering, Instrumentation Engineering and Information Technology were added as per the demand and requirements of the country. The institute started part time post graduate course in Electrical Power System in 1986 and later added four P.G. Courses in Thermal Power Engineering, Environmental, Geotechnical, and Electronics Systems and Communication. The institute also offers seven full time PG programs in Electrical Power Systems, Structures, Thermal Power Engineering., Environmental Engineering., Advanced Electronics, Computer Engineering and Geotechnical Engineering.
College campus is spread over 114 acres of land on Amravati Walgaon road. Public Work Department is responsible for construction and maintenance of buildings. Every department has its own building, two boy’s hostel and a girl’s hostel. The institute has plans for five more department building of 9000 sq. m. area and two more hostels (for girls and boys each). College at present has 10Mbit/s connectivity having campus wide networking of 1000 nodes and also WiFi spread over entire campus covering all departments, hostels and residential areas.